My Guide Website?
Modica: embrace of stone and chocolate
Modica stands as an architectural masterpiece of refined elegance: its winding streets and ancient alleys unravel like golden threads through the heart of the city.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Sicily:If youʻre booking your trip to Sicily last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Aeolian Islands: Active Volcano Tour
- Etna: Craters of the 2002 Eruption Trekking Experience
- Palermo: Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour 24-hour Ticket
- Catania: City Highlights Tour with Guide
- Taormina: Sunset Walking Tour & Aperitif on Rooftop Terrace
- A stroll where the sense of smell and of the view are constantly engaged
- Discover the story of one of the most peculiar city in Sicily
- Don't forget to taste the unique chocolate of Modica
DescriptionCharacterized by a rich history and fascinating cultural heritage, Modica is known for its Baroque architecture, which has been recognized as a Unesco World Heritage Site. The Cathedral of San Giorgio is one of the city's architectural jewels; majestic and imposing, it stands grandly in the city of Modica. This extraordinary cathedral is a superb example of Sicilian Baroque architecture, a testament to the cultural and artistic richness of the region. Elaborate decorations, graceful columns, and refined sculptures combine to create an architectural work of art that captures the eye and imagination. Restored after the 1693 earthquake, the Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle is one of the city of Modica's identifying churches, an emblematic expression of the Baroque movement. The distinguishing element is definitely the statues of the twelve apostles placed around the perimeter of the same that welcome you along the staircase accompanying you to the entrance. Considered the oldest church in the city of Modica, it remains the best preserved example of Byzantine architecture. Discovered by chance and formerly used as a garage, it was later restored and opened to the public.
IncludesGuide Multilingual tour
- It is recommended to bring clothing appropriate for a place of worship, comfortable shoes, a sunhat and sunscreen.