Etna: Craters of the 2002 Eruption Trekking Experience33 Reviews
Discover one of the most beautiful attractions on the north side of Etna. Embark on a 3-hour trekking tour up the mountain. Explore the forest, several lava streams, eruptive fractures, and the massive craters that destroyed Piano Provenzana.
- See the products of the most powerful eruption in recent years
- Enjoy the magnificent view of the eruptive theater and the Calabrian Coast
- Feel connected with nature as you learn about the volcano's history
- Set off on an educational excursion suitable for everyone
DescriptionThe starting point of the trekking route is along the dirt road that runs from Provenzana to the summit craters of the volcano. The first stop will allow you to see the ruins of the Hotel delle Betulle, the only visible structure from those destroyed by the lava flow of October 2002. Take your time studying the varying volcanic forms as you follow the route. Hear about how they are related to the series of eruptions on the northern side of Etna, particularly the flank eruptions in 1911 and 1923. The later occurrence threatened the city of Linguaglossa. After visiting the particular volcanic structures, called hornitos (small oven in Spanish), go up along the Bottoniera (cinder cones) of the 2002 eruption. Reach the maximum height of 2,100 meters and stand at the edge of the craters. Descend Mount Etna through a sandy channel to arrive back at the starting point.
IncludesVolcano guide Trekking sticks Food and drinks
- • Trekking does not require great preparations on a physical level. You must be, in any case, careful, since the volcanic soil can often be inconsistent and unstable • This trekking tour is not recommended for those who do not participate in any regular physical activity
- The route consists of the ascent and walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals • The excursion could be subject to variations at the discretion of the guides, or it can be interrupted in case of changes in the environmental, climatic, or volcanic conditions • The total time of the trekking trail will depend on the general pace
- Without adequate shoes, you are not covered by insurance
- In case of snow, you are recommended to rent snowshoes
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability