My Guide Website?
Syracuse: Highlights of Ortigia Guided Walking Tour21 Reviews
Explore the island of Ortigia on this guided walking tour in Syracuse. Admire sights like the Temple of Apollo, Piazza Duomo square, and the freshwater spring of Arethusa.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Sicily:If youʻre booking your trip to Sicily last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Trapani: Favignana and Levanzo Mini Cruise with Lunch
- From Lipari: Panarea and Stromboli Cruise with Stops
- Sicily: The Godfather Filming Locations Tour
- Taormina or Giardini Naxos: Off-Road ATV Tour of Mount Etna
- From Trapani: Salt Road Tour With Winery Visit and Boat Trip
- Step back in time as you explore the historical center of Syracuse
- Admire Temple of Apollo, the Fountain of Diana and the Arethusa spring
- Marvel at the marble work in Piazza Duomo and the Syracuse Cathedral
- See the mythical Arethusa spring and ponder the love story behind its name
DescriptionDiscover a combination of Greek, medieval, and Baroque architecture on this guided walking tour of Ortigia island in Syracuse. Uncover the secrets of Ortigia as you visit a crypt that as a World War II air-raid shelter. Meet your guide in Piazza Emanuele Pancali square in front of the 6th century BC Temple of Apollo. Enter the Church of San Filippo Apostolo alla Giudecca and visit the crypt below the church where people took shelter during bombing campaigns in WWII. Make your way to Piazza Duomo square where you can admire Palazzo Beneventano and the church of Santa Lucia and you can also purchase entrance to the Syracuse Cathedral. You will reach the enchanting Fonte Aretusa, a source of fresh water a few meters from the sea and linked to the love story between Aretusa and Alfeo and on the way back you will cross the Jewish Quarter until you reach Piazza Archimedes: Here you can admire the splendor of the Fountain of Diana, linked to the myth of the Nymph Arethusa, represented together with the Greek Goddess Artemis, in the most important moment in which it is transformed into a source..
IncludesWalking tour Guide
- The tour could be conducted in more languages at the same time Tickets must be paid for on-site It is necessary to respect a certain dress code in order to access the places of worship. To ensure compliance with the 'Ortigia Walking Tour' schedule, all participants are asked to arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes early Participants may use their own headset or purchase a disposable one on site at a cost of €1 Visits to the listed monuments may be subject to change on holidays or without notice due to the Covid-19 emergency