Capuchin Catacombs and Monreale Cathedral Private Tour18 Reviews
Discover the gruesome burial chambers of the Capuchin Catacombs of Palermo, filled with the mummified bodies of friars and local luminaries on a private tour. Continue to the exquisite 12th-century Norman cathedral of Monreale.
- Wander the gruesome corridors of the Capuchin Catacombs in Palermo
- See the mummified remains of friars, virgins, children, and the painter Velazquez
- Learn about the mysterious preservative that could mummify the dead
- See the mummy of the young girl Rosalia Lombardo, who died in 1920 and was the last person to be buried in the catacombs
- Visit the 12th-century cathedral of Monreale, one of the finest examples of Norman architecture in the world
- Stroll around the beautiful gardens of the Benedictine Cloisters, admiring the delicate arches and marble columns
- Enjoy the benefits of a private tour
DescriptionExplore the ghoulish remains of friars and luminaries at Palermo’s Capuchin Catacombs on a 3-hour sightseeing tour. Wander along dank corridors through a vast human library of mummified bodies. Inaugurated in 1599, when Capuchin monks discovered that their catacombs contained a mysterious preservative that could mummify the dead, the goal of the site is to reflect on the fragility of life and consider the pettiness of worldly goods. Some 8,000 bodies of men and women were ultimately buried in the catacombs, including the mummy of friar Silvestro of Gubbio, the first body to be buried in the catacombs. The corpses are divided into categories, such as friars, virgins, and professors, and often recognizable by their decaying clothing. As you walk through the corridors, you will see ghastly bodies that include the mummified corpse of the painter Velazquez. Emerge from the gruesome catacombs and travel to Monreale, 6 miles (10 kilometers) from Palermo. Here you will swap corpses for gold and marble as you visit the 12th-century Arab-Norman Cathedral, one of the finest examples of Norman architecture in the world. End your tour at the Benedictine Cloister, completed at the turn of the 13th century. Wander around the beautiful garden, surrounded by delicate arches and white marble columns.
IncludesPrivate car and English-speaking driver Airport pick-up and drop off (available on request and for an extra fee) Hotel pick-up and drop off (available on request and for an extra fee) Entry to the Catacombs of Capuchins, Monreale Cathedral, and the Cloister of Monreale
- This is a private tour
- A different schedule is possible on request
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability