Syracuse: Guided Walking Tour of Secret Ortygia
Discover unusual sites of one of the most interesting and beautiful cities in Sicily. Visit the hidden secrets of the ancient Syracuse and its historical center surrounded by the sea, enjoying the entire experience with a local guide.
- Wander through the streets of the old Jewish district and marvel at the Jewish Bath
- Discover the underground floors of the San Filippo Church
- Visit the magnificent cathedral, one of the finest examples of outstanding architectural creations
- Take a panoramic walk through the city
- Be enchanted by the magical atmosphere of Ortygia
DescriptionYour 3-hour tour starts from the Temple of Apollo, one of the oldest Doric temples of the Magna Graecia (Great Greece). Walking along the ancient Greek main road, which today houses characteristic artisan boutiques, you will reach the cathedral of St. Lucy. The beauty of the cathedral, UNESCO-listed since 2005, predominates this square. The charming Baroque facade and its structure hold one of the most important and famous Doric monument in all Sicily, the Temple of Athena. Stroll though the alleys of the Jewish Quarter, discovering hidden places out of the classic tourist routes. The visit continues underground, exploring the ancient hypogeum (catacombs) of the Capuchin Friars. This subterranean area is full of history and tradition, consisting of a labyrinth of tunnels which were primarily used as aqueduct by the Greeks and Romans. These tunnels were also used during World War II as shelter. Once out of the San Filippo church, Ortygia will provide you with one final surprise with the 'Mikveh', or Jewish ritual bath. Discovered 25 years ago and dug into the rock at 18 meters' depth to find the source of pure water, it is the oldest ritual bath in Europe.
IncludesAuthorized tour guide All monument entrance tickets Hotel pickup and drop-off Food and drinks
- Religious and underground sites will be visited, appropriate clothing is recommended
- This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility • This tour will take place rain or shine
- You will descend many steps to reach the underground areas, there is no elevator
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability