My Guide Website?
Mount Etna: Central Crater Guided Hike for Advanced Hikers85 Reviews
Trek to the summit craters of Mount Etna and admire the volcanic phenomena. Explore a side less frequented by tourists, and learn about recent and historic eruptions that have formed the landscape.
- Climb Mount Etna and exploring its active craters
- See all the active summit craters of Etna
- Observe the ceaseless activity of the volcano
- Listen to scientific explanations about the evolution of the volcano
- Trek in a stunning moonscape
DescriptionPut your walking shoes on and head off on a sights-filled trekking adventure around Mount Etna for experienced hikers. Discover the history and symbolism of the area with your guide, and immerse yourself in the striking natural scenery. From the meeting point, ascend in an off-road vehicle along the panoramic street on the northern side of the volcano to a height of 2,825 meters. From this point, begin the 4-kilometer walk on a path surrounded by volcanic scoria and bombs to the edge of the great Central Crater of Etna The total climb uphill is 470 meters until you arrive at the edge of the Central Crater of Etna at a height of 3,300 meters. Once there, stop to admire the greatness, uniqueness, and processes of the volcanic environment. Enjoy the view from the roof of Sicily (visibility can change according to the weather or volcanic conditions). Then, start the downhill journey on soft scoria and volcanic ashes, passing through Piano delle Concazze (at 2,750 meters, the base of the Volcanological Observatory). Continue inside of one of the sandy, big channels, characteristic of the north-east side of the volcano and surrounded by endemic plants and seasonal torrents. Reach the downhill path and the beech forest up to Piano Provenzana, the arrival point of the excursion. The total time of the trekking trail is 6-7 hours and the total kilometers (round-trip) is 11.2 km or about 7 miles (may vary). The difficulty level is E (experienced hikers). The maximum altitude reached is 3,300 mt and the minimum altitude reached is 1,800 mt. The difference in height is 470 mt (may vary) and the difference in downhill is 1,500 mt (may vary).
IncludesVolcanological guide Guided hike Trekking poles Protective helmets Trekking shoes Jackets
- The trekking is for moderately trained hikers (being a path that develops at high altitude, it will be easy to accrue symptoms of fatigue) ・The price includes only the cost of the guide service and not the cost of the transport service that you will pay on the spot directly to your guide who will take care of the purchase of the tickets
- The decent with off-road vehicles is optional for those who want to take transportation back down please let your guide know in case you want to take the bus for the descent
- The parking ticket will be paid on the spot after the excursion
- This excursion could be subject to variations in case of changes in the environmental, climatic, or volcanic conditions
- The route consists of the ascent and walking along the crater edges, this may cause vertigo.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force
- This excursion may be cancelled if the minimum number of 2 is not met