From Messina: Mount Etna & Alcantara Gorge Small-Group Trek
Embark on a full-day trekking excursion and discover the spectacular landscapes of Mount Etna, the highest active volcano in Europe, and the stunning Alcantara Gorge.
- Discover the breathtaking landscapes of Mount Etna and the Alcantara Gorge on a full-day trekking excursion
- Learn more about the history of Mount Etna and the people who live on its slopes
- Marvel at the breathtaking views from a scenic viewpoint
- Explore the Alcantara Gorge
DescriptionStart with pickup from your hotel and drive for 45 minutes along a scenic route. Stop for a quick coffee grab some walking poles and trekking boots if required. Set off on the first part of your trek on Mount Etna with a 4-kilometer walk through a birch tree forest. Then, continue along the edges of some craters before reaching a scenic viewpoint. See the southern coast of the mainland of Italy, the glimmering Mediterranean Sea, and the majestic mountain ranges of northern Sicily. Enter a large cave where your guide will explain its geological characteristics and its historical use by local communities. After lunch, travel for 45 minutes to reach the Alcantara Gorge, a canyon formed by lava flows from Mount Etna, which now has a clearwater river running through it. Chill out on the banks of the river or follow your guide into the gorge on one of the many hiking trails. Afterward, be returned to your hotel in the late afternoon.
IncludesHotel pickup and drop-off Certified English, Spanish, and Italian-speaking guide Walking poles Trekking boots Bottled water Entrance to the Alcantara gorge Lunch
- The hike on Mount Etna is of easy difficulty
- Lunch at the café costs approximately €10 (starter, main, drink)
- There are approximately 240 steps to reach the Alcantara Gorge
- The tour may be canceled due to adverse weather conditions on the day
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability